Brawler is an offensive 'dps' tank that offers little utility to the party. Their unique playstyle is based around the skill Growing Fury. This grants a buff that gives all damaging skills a frontal block effect. Hence while other tanking classes will generally use a dedicated block skill to block attacks, Brawler is able to block by using any offensive skills. As a Brawler, your priorities are:
1. Stay alive
2. Hold Aggro – Brawler skills have low base aggro generation; hence your aggro almost directly corresponds to your dps. If you struggle to hold aggro while playing Brawler you should use an aggro generation crystal, e.g. Fine Threatening Niveot until you feel confident in your dps. If you lose aggro, the skill Provoke will guarantee you aggro for several seconds – however this should not be relied on to hold aggro as it has a long cooldown.
3. Position the boss – As a Brawler you should try to position the boss in a way that makes it easier for the dps to maintain back-time. This comes with experience and depends on the boss. If the boss turns to attack a dps/healer, you should reposition to the new front of the boss to minimise turning. If the boss is in an inconvenient position for the party due to AoEs/wall/mechanics, use Provoke to guarantee aggro before repositioning to a better place.
4. Debuff the boss – The skill Jackhammer applies a debuff to the boss that stacks up to 8 times and grants 1.5% endurance reduction per stack. This debuff has a 20 second duration and is refreshed upon hitting the boss with Jackhammer. You should aim for 99-100% uptime on this. Even though Jackhammer is a filler skill it should still be used regularly as one hit will refresh the debuff duration.
5. Enrage the boss – The skill Infuriate will enrage the boss, which is generally beneficial as party members will deal increased damage and take reduced damage. In the current patch, bosses enrage naturally after 10% of their health has been done and this lasts for 37 seconds (after which 10% more of the boss' HP will need to be dealt before it enrages again). Normally, Infuriate is used at the start of the fight and can be used again during fights if it comes off cooldown. Keep track of the boss' HP – it is a waste to use Infuriate if the boss is already enraged or will enrage naturally soon.
6. After you are comfortable with fulfilling your tanking priorities, Brawlers should focus on their dps as they have little utility to the party. In addition, in higher geared parties with skilled players you may run into difficulties holding aggro if your dps is inadequate. There are two factors that impact your dps. Your gear and your skill usage/rotation. U4gm offer various TERA items like gear, pets, mounts, costumes, etc. Buy them to improve competitiveness!